My colleague is Japanese and when she discovered that I’m the biggesst Japanese foodie she took on the opportunity to try out some Japanese places around our office with me. So glad we found this place. Its literally a hidden gem tucked away in the suburb of St James. There are only 2 restaurants on this street – Buen 151 and Wang’s Asian Cuisine. The parking area is really strange as its part of another shop’s pavement.
Buen 151 has a very casual but homely feel to it. You can tell its authentic Japanese from the moment you walk in. It is actually really rare to find a truly authentic Japanese owned and runned restaurant in Perth. Many of them are operated by Chinese, Korean, Malaysians, etc.
Someone told me that the owners are the same owners of Mr Fuji which used to be towards the causeway end of Victoria Park. It has been closed for serveral years now. I’ve never tried it but I’ve heard amazing things about that place.
What we ordered:
- Chirashi don ($16.50) – Fresh sashimi on sushi rice. Hands down the most generous serving and freshest sashimi in Perth
- Gyu tataki ($10.5) – Thinly sliced lightly cooked beef
- Ika shioyaki ($9.30) – Salted BBQ squid tenticles
- Chawan mushi ($8.90) – Steamed egg custard
- Chige nabe ($14.80) – Seafood, chicken, egg, and vegetable cooked with spicy hot soup in pot
If my rating was purely based on their sashimi – 10/10! But unfortunately their cooked dishes aren’t as good as other places.