I have a bad bad bad addiction for chocolate. NOT to the point that I would only choose chocolate flavoured desserts but to the point that I would need a taste of chocolate in my mouth at least once a day. Just one tiny bite or square will do. This addiction will seriously get in the way of my pledge for 2015 – to avoid processed sugar as much as possible. I couldn’t cut sugar out completely because sugar is in literally everything! Especially Asian cuisines.
To satisfy my chocolate craving for today I decided to whip together some raw cacao balls. I first tried these when my best friend made me a batch with her new Thermomix. OMG not only did they satisfy my chocolate addiction but also my nuts addiction. Double whammy 🙂
This is my “go to” recipe when I need to satisfy my sweettooth. Not only is is healthy and full of goodness it is also a quick no bake recipe! And it ticks all the boxes with healthy foodies out there!
Why is it sooooo good for you?
- Contains no added sugar
- Dairy free
- Gluten free
- Full of protein
- Full of fruits and nuts
- Full of goodness
You can make these days/week in advance and keep them in the fridge. Go on, knock everyone’s socks off with this delightful treat!
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup nuts (I used almonds)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup organic raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- Optional: Honey (add to taste)
- Blend almonds on high speed until they reach a fine crumb/meal texture.
- Remove nuts from bowl and set aside.
- Blend dates, cacao powder, half of the shredded coconut, coconut oil and chia seeds until it reaches a smooth texture.
- Add the ground nuts and blend together until combined.
- Once the mixture is completely combined, remove the mixture from the processor with a spoon and roll into small balls.
- Coat in shredded coconut and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Leave them for at least a few hours so they reach a firmer texture.
- These can also be stored in the freezer.
- How many balls you get will depend on the size you roll them.
- Mix and match your favourite nuts and fruit to get the taste you love!