HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR DEAR READERS!!!!!!! 🙂 Happy year of the Goat!
Instead of going out for CNY dinner last night (4th night in a row) I decided to stay home and bake CNY cookies instead. This is one of my Granddad’s old recipes! I was super reluctant to share it at first but sharing is caring 😉
The texture is more dry than other CNY cookies because it only uses egg whites instead of the whole egg. The recipe is low on butter and sugar. I’ve actually made slight changes to the original recipe as it barely had any butter and sugar at all!!
The technique is super easy – I guess that’s because there was no such things as beaters and stand mixers back in the day. Go figure.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 120 grams sugar
- 150 grams butter
- 2-3 egg whites
- 1 Tsp vanilla essence
- Roasted almonds or cashews for decoration
- Reserve the egg yolks for egg white (brushing)
- Heat oven to 220C
- Sift flour and combine all dry ingredients in a bowl, mix well.
- Add melted butter
- Add egg whites
- Roll into small balls and place on lined baking tray
- Place a piece of almond or cashew on top of cookie and gently press down to squash the cookie a little bit
- Water down the egg yolk in a bowl just a ting bit
- Brush egg yolk wash on top of each cookie
- Turn down the oven to 170C
- Place trays of cookie into the oven and bake for 10 minutes
- Turn down the oven to 100C and bake for another 25-30 minutes
- Remove from oven
- Ensure cookies have cooled completely before packing it away into air tight containers!